Saturday, December 11, 2010

you can't pray a lie

It made me shiver. And I about made up my mind to pray, and see if I couldn’t try to quit being the kind of boy I was and be better. So I kneeled down. But the words wouldn’t come. Why wouldn’t they? It warn’t no use to try and hide it from Him…. I knowed very well why they wouldn’t come. It was because my heart warn’t right; it was because… I was holding on to the biggest one of all. I was tryin’ to make my mouth say I would do the right thing and the clean thing,… but deep down in me I knowed it was a lie, and He knowed it. You can’t pray a lie – I found that out.



Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. New American Library, New York, NY. P.208-9 as quoted in Marvin J. Ashton, “Personal Prayers,” Prayer. Deseret Book Company, Salt Lake City, UT. 1978. P.75

No comments: