Tuesday, January 30, 2024

a very negative halo

Not long ago the level of my humility and understanding of my dependence on the Lord was once again tested. I was in a taxi going to the airport to catch a short flight to a place where there was a very difficult situation to solve. The taxi driver, who was not a member of the Church, looked at me through the mirror and said, “I can see you’re not well today!”

“Could you tell?” I asked.

“Of course,” he said. Then he said something like, “You actually have a very negative halo around you!”

I explained to him that I had quite a hard situation to deal with, and he then asked me, “Have you done everything in your power to solve this?”

I responded I had done everything I could.

He then said something I have never forgotten: “So leave this in God’s hands, and everything will work out fine.”

I confess that I was tempted to ask him, “Do you know who you’re talking to?” But I didn’t! What I did was humble myself before the Lord throughout that one-hour flight, asking for divine help. As I left the airplane, I learned that the difficult situation to be solved was already in order and that my presence wouldn’t even be necessary anymore.

Brothers and sisters, the command, invitation, and promise from the Lord is clear and comforting: “Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers.”



Joni L. Koch

"Humble to Accept and Follow," General Conference October 2023

No comments: