Friday, March 10, 2023

Once, and this is a simple example, I was in charge of our stake play. As with all things theatrical, time was pressed, rehearsals tense, and resources inadequate. We were to have our final run-through at the stake center, but lines got crossed and a stake leadership meeting began gathering in the chapel. Suddenly we were told we would have to move, but final run-throughs really need to happen on the actual stage. I could feel the morale of my troupe flagging as they felt all their time and effort was being disrupted and disrespected. The stake leaders wanted an inspirational play, but insisted on taking the room on dress rehearsal night? 

I had been studying about God and paradox, and to look for Him when two contradictory or seeming opposed ideas presented themselves as truth, like faith and works, or "don't eat the fruit" and "multiply and replenish the earth." In this very concrete situation, I said a little prayer and then stood back to see what God would do. I believed God thought both were important, and a way would be shown to transcend. It was.

The actors dispersed to side rooms to run through music numbers while the priesthood session used the needed larger chapel to begin. Then the leaders dispersed to the smaller rooms for sessions, and the actors returned to the main stage. It was simple, yet when folks were at loggerheads with tempers rising and both insisting they needed the larger rooms, the solution could not be seen. 

It was a wonderful object lesson for me. The rooms, the time frames, were always there, but hidden by our pride, no one saw them. Yet, with just a little softening, just a little nod that both needs were legitimate, an answer was easily found. 

I pondered that in my heart. The visual was of myself as a pin dot on the earth, limited in what I could see and God looking down on the pin dot that was earth ion the universe, seeing all. From God's viewpoint, human contradictions were often resolved just by telescoping out. God transcends paradoxes. 



Shari Siebers Crall

Living on the Inside of the Edge by Christian Kimball. Common Consent Press. 2023. p. 287, 288

No comments: